Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Second Phase of Government Travel Initiative Effective January 31, 2008

On January 23, 2007, citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico and Bermuda traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda were required to present a valid passport to enter or depart the U.S.

Effective January 31, 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens 19 years and older who enter the U.S. at land and sea ports of entry from within the Western Hemisphere must present government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license as proof of identity, AND proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate, or a passport.

All children 18 and under must present a passport when entering the United States airports. Children age 18 and under must present a birth certificate, naturalization certificate or a passport to enter the U.S. by land or sea.

Single Document Option
U.S. and Canadian citizens arriving by land or sea may present one of the following documents to prove both identity and citizenship.

· U.S. or Canadian Passport
· U.S. Passport Card (Available spring 2008)
· Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
· State or Provincial Issued Enhanced Driver’s License (EDLs) verifying identity and citizenship (Several states including Washington, Vermont, New York, and Arizona are working with DHS to develop EDLs for U.S. citizens. These documents denote both identity and U.S. citizenship. Several Canadian provinces are also considering production of EDLs for use by Canadian citizens.)
· Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)
· U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
· U.S. Merchant Mariner Document
· Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
· Form I-872 American Indian Card
· Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) Card

Two Document Option
U.S. and Canadian citizens arriving by land or sea who do not have one of the documents from the single document list must present BOTH an identification and citizenship document from each of the lists below. Identification documents must contain a photo, name and date of birth.

1. Identification Documents
· Driver’s license or identification card issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory, or municipal authority
· U.S. or Canadian military identification card

2. Citizenship Documents
· U.S. or Canadian birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county, territory or municipal authority
· U.S. Consular report of birth abroad
· U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
· U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
· U.S. Citizen Identification Card
· Canadian Citizenship Card
· Canadian certificate of citizenship without photo

Example 1
A U.S. citizen presenting a birth certificate as proof of citizenship must also provide a government-issued photo ID.

Example 2
A U.S. citizen presenting a U.S. Passport need not present additional documentation because the U.S. Passport provides both proof of citizenship and contains a government-issued photo ID.

These documentation requirements only apply to entry into the United States. When traveling to other countries, it is best to check with the country you are visiting to determine the appropriate document requirements. The U.S. Department of State provides additional information for persons traveling outside of the U.S.

Additional information about the document requirements and how to obtain them can be found on the CBP website.

No comments: